Highway 93 between Highway 169 and Le Sueur closing tonight due to flooding
MANKATO, Minn. – The Minnesota Department of Transportation is closing Highway 93 between Highway 169 and Le Sueur by 8:30 p.m. tonight, March 20 due to flooding on the Minnesota River.
MnDOT estimates that motorists can safely commute home, but that water will have risen to unsafe levels after dark. Motorists can use Highway 112 as an alternate route.
MnDOT continues to closely monitor the Highway 99 Minnesota River Bridge at St. Peter for potential closure due to flooding on the Minnesota River. Today’s forecasted river levels continue to indicate that the Highway 99 Bridge could close under this flood.
Highways that remain closed:
- Highway 93 between Highway 169 and Le Sueur (closed by 8:30 p.m. March 20)
- Highway 19 east of Henderson (closed at 1 p.m. March 19)
- Highway 93 south of Henderson (closed March 16)
- Highway 4 north of St. James (closed March 17)
- Highway 30 east of Mapleton (closed March 16 – open March 20)
When a road is closed it is illegal to travel in that area. Motorists can be fined up to $1,000 and/or 90 days in jail. In addition, if travelers need to be rescued from a closed road, other expenses and penalties will apply.