About this project
Summary of MnDOT work
- Reconstruct Hwy 15 through downtown Hutchinson
- Resurface Hwy 15 from 5th Ave S to just north of the roundabout at CR 115 / Airport Road
- Add a northbound left-turn lane at Linden Ave
- Update pedestrian crossings along project areas to make them accessible for everyone
Summary of City of Hutchinson work
- Replace storm sewer, water, and sanitary sewer along the project area
- Hwy 15 between 2nd Ave N and 5th Ave S is closed for the duration of the project.
- Detour for through traffic (map above) is in effect.
- Travelers not stopping in the downtown area must use the detour.
- Signs will help direct visitors to the downtown area.
- Find information about getting to downtown homes and businesses (local traffic) under the Project updates section below.
- During the repaving project (orange line on the map), expect temporary lane closures from 5th Ave S to just north of the roundabout at CR 115.
Project and traffic updates
May 29, 2020
- Finished pouring concrete intersection of Hwy 15 and Washington Ave (pictured at right).
- Started installing sanitary sewer and water main from 1st Ave S to 2nd Ave S.
- Began installing sidewalks from 2nd Ave N to Washington Ave.
- The Washington Ave crossing at Hwy 15 opened Thursday midday.
- Continued to remove old roadway through 2nd Ave S.
- We will continue installing the sidewalks from 2nd Ave N through Washington Ave.
- We will be working on utilities from 1st Ave S through 2nd Ave S.
Stage 3 - Began the week of May 18
This area will be closed to traffic until the end of August. Dates subject to change.
During Stage 3
- Work takes place at the intersections of Hwy 15 with 1st Ave S, 2nd Ave S.
- Area is closed to all vehicles from all directions.
- Crosswalks in the work zone are closed to pedestrians.
- Local traffic only in areas south of 3rd Ave S.
- Sidewalks to businesses will remain open as long as possible; use rear/side entrances when posted.
- Park on the streets and in the parking lots on the back side of Hwy 15/Main St businesses.
- People can use Franklin and Adams Streets to get to homes and businesses.
- People can cross Hwy 15 at Washington Ave and 5th Ave S.