MnDOT urges anglers to plan ahead before heading out for fishing opener
ST. PAUL, Minn. — The Minnesota Department of Transportation urges anglers to plan ahead and use caution while driving through highway work zones on the way to their favorite fishing spots this weekend.
Motorists may encounter lane closures and detours because of transportation projects that are under way this construction season. Some areas of the state are also experiencing flooding. MnDOT recommends that motorists prepare for slower moving traffic, think about alternate routes, and visit 511mn.org to get information about road construction projects and traffic impacts.
Note: Expect heavier traffic in and around Albert Lea where the governor’s annual fishing opener will occur on area lakes May 9-12.
Some of the highway projects that may affect weekend travel include:
- I-35W Minnesota River Bridge Replacement – Alternating lane closures, narrow lanes, ramp closures
- I-35W Downtown to Crosstown – Northbound and southbound lane closures between I-94 and 46th Street, ramp closures
- I-35W MnPASS North – Northbound lane closure between Roseville and Blaine, southbound reduced to two lanes, nighttime work
- I-35 split in Forest Lake – Lane closures, single lane traffic
- I-35 Rush City – Northbound and southbound single lane traffic near Harris
- I-35E Mendota Heights – Roadway reduced to one lane, alternating lane closures, ramp closures, nighttime work
- I-494 Inver Grove Heights – Westbound traffic reduced to two lanes, ramp closures
- I-94 Lake Latoka near Alexandria – Single lane traffic on I-94 in both directions, Lake Latoka Rest Area closed
- Hwys 55, 59, 79 – Elbow Lake – Roadway reduced to one lane, flaggers
- Hwy 12 between Hwy 75 and County Road 36 – Road closed due to flooding
- Hwy 119 Appleton – Hwy 119 closed between Highway 40 and County Road 34, detour and alternating lane closures
- Hwy 27 Little Falls – Hwy 27 closed, detour through September
- Hwy 65/Hwy 107 near Braham – Single lane traffic, lane shifts and reduced speeds
- Hwy 169 Garrison – Roadway reduced to one lane
- Hwy 15 St. Augusta to Kimball – Hwy 15 closed, detour through July
- Hwy 55 Annandale to Maple Lake – Hwy 55 closed, detour
- I-35 Snake River bridge replacements – Southbound lane closed, ramps closed, Hwy 70 traffic detoured to Hwy 7 through mid-July
- I-35 in Downtown Duluth – Single lane traffic through June
- Hwys 1, 75, 175, 220 and 317 in northwest Minnesota – Roads closed due to flooding
- I-90 Freeborn County – Single lane traffic in each direction, reduced speeds
- Hwy 52 Chatfield to I-90 – Hwy 52 closed, detour through July
- I-90 Fairmont to Blue Earth – Single lane traffic and shoulder closures
- Hwy 14 New Ulm – Hwy 14/Hwy 15 closed, detour
- Hwy 169 between Le Sueur and St. Peter – Road reduced to one lane until May 10
- Hwy 60 St. James – Single lane traffic in each direction, ramp closures
MnDOT urges motorists to be attentive, drive with caution, slow down in work zones and never enter a road blocked with barriers or cones.
For a complete list of projects by highway or region, visit mndot.gov/roadwork/current.
Motorists can stay informed about projects and other transportation topics by connecting to MnDOT via social media, as well as by signing up for email updates for major projects at mndot.gov/emailupdates.