About this project
MnDOT has evaluated Hwy 61 to identify improvements to help with safety and traffic flow through the corridor, specifically at the Hwy 61/County Road 18 intersection in Goodhue County. Through this evaluation MnDOT has made recommendations on:
- Improving intersection safety for all users
- Improving ways to safely get to and from the highway
- Shortening wait times and keeping traffic moving
To address the safety issues created by left turns and crossing traffic at the intersection, MnDOT is proposing to construct an RCI.
- Maintains access to and from the highway for all travelers
- Significantly reduces the risk of crashes, especially severe right-angle crashes
- Increases safety for all users
- Makes it easier to turn left through major intersections
The Hwy 61/County Road 18 intersection has a history of left turn crashes due to speed, traffic volumes and poor sightlines. Significant safety issues were identified at this intersection, which include:
- A history of serious right-angle crashes. Right-angle crashes, sometimes called “T-bone” crashes, are often more deadly or serious than other crashes. Traditional four-lane divided highway intersections, such as this one, have an increased risk of severe T-bone crashes, especially for drivers attempting to cross all four lanes of traffic or turn left.
- Difficulty getting on/off Hwy 61 during certain times of the day.